Final assignment: Kinetic Mural

We have reached the end of our semester and to be frank with you, I’m feeling sad at an equal measure; I’m pleased about the fact that I can finally have a break and I’m unhappy that everything we did was just part of a memory now.

Let’s move on anyway.

We were instructed to fabricate a kinetic mural along with students from other schools within our university. Before we could do so, we needed to collect a heap load of aluminium cans, come up with our own ideas and choose one from our class. Fortunately, Melissa’s got picked and this is how it was built.

1. Cut the top and the bottom of the can, and then cut it across to “stretch” it.
2. Cut them into rectangles.
3. Fold the edges inward.
4. Spray paint the cans with yellow paint and paint stick men with violet acrylic paint (complementary colour was used)
5. Connect three of the rectangles with hot glue gun.
6. Attach each chopsticks by the ends with hot glue gun.
7. By the ends, put a lot of hot glue to secure so that the 3-rectangles would stay in place.
8. Attach each end into the horizontal PVC pipe.
9. And voilà.

image

image

The overall experience was rather satisfying because our kinetic mural worked. Each 3-rectangles spinned when the fan blew at its’ direction. And the action of the stick men were ridiculously adorable.

By the end of the day, Jennifer left with a massive laceration in her finger. She bled all the way to the loo. Mr Charles, MORE XPS FOR EXTRA EXTRA EXTRA EFFORT.

image

image

image

image

image

It genuinely looks like a crime scene.

Here’s the video of our kinetic mural: http://https://youtu.be/WVpPIg7ANG4

Constructing a catapult.

Foundation students were assigned to construct a ballistic device that launches an object (we were told to utilise a tennis ball) to a tower of boxes of approximately 6ft high at 10 metres. That sounded like a monstrosity, isn’t it? 

I’m not denying about the fact that this project was utterly challenging. It demanded such scientific skills and creativity from us that it nearly sucked our brain juices out. But hey, if you run dry, it means that it’s working.

Without further ado, let’s get started on the experience itself.

—————–

Thanks to Sir Charles, I got to team up with Jennifer, Vivian and Nafiz.

20160823_163420
Left to right: Jennifer, Nafiz, Vivian, Me

Materials weren’t difficult to look for as Jennifer’s dad supplied us with what he had left in his studio; wooden pallettes which we had to dismantle. Jennifer also managed to obtain curtain rods from home which we used as the arm of the catapult. Vivian and I looped loads of rubber bands to launch the tennis ball at the target. Not to mention, duct tapes to secure every nook and cranny! Moreover, we were lucky enough to have Nafiz as our “handyman” as he did most of the hammering. Literal blood and tears (and skin) were shed throughout.

Initially, we had a massive catapult of 130cm x 130cm and it could not pass through the entrance of the sports complex. Thus, we had to improvise by searching for another base, nothing more than 76cm. We ended up racing against the clock, assembling another catapult of a smaller size.

20160822_1658581
Our first catapult
20160823_204914
Introducing “Organic” (Don’t question the name)

We knew “trial and error” was bound to occur in order to get the desired angle of the arm and strength of the band. To be honest, I cannot recall on the number of times we attempted to shoot at 10 metres but we managed in the end.

Here are 2 videos of the millionth attempts: Catapult launch: Test #1 and Catapult launch: Test #2

On doomda- I mean the day of our presentation, we were given 3 chances for the launch. Our first try was a total failure. However, our second try had us completely astonished because we had never shot over 10 metres until that very day. Lastly, we managed to hit the target but it did not fall off. Nevertheless, I’d like to consider this as a success. The overall experience was worth it.

Here’s the video of the actual testing: Catapult launch: D-DAY

 

-30°C

-30°C was an exhibition organised by Dr. Alex Wong, which was held at the CoDA Gallery in Taylor’s University.

 I have to admit… I was exceedingly ecstatic about Dr. Alex’s exhibition because photography is one of my utmost fascinations. Having a professional to share his methods and inspiration behind his work, I thought I could learn a thing or two from him before I take this photography thing seriously.

 Before we get started, I would like to apologise for the lack of pictures taken during the event as I was engaged in admiring his creation.

IMG-20160823-WA0007

Dr. Alex Wong (the man standing near to the speaker) revealed that there was a purpose behind those 3 photos. He wanted to stress on the environmental impacts experienced today and how he wanted to capture the right moment to send a message to his audience.

 However, my favoured photo is the one in the center, where two men were guiding a walking wild bird using sticks. Considering it to be a wild animal, I find it rather odd and depressing as it has the ability to fly away but instead, it chose to be controlled by the two human beings. It really does leave me wondering on what went through the bird’s mind or how it became this way to begin with.

20160823_103422.jpg

I really wish that I took proper pictures of other photos because they were aesthetically pleasing to the eye. It’s amazing how he was able to capture different forms of nature in different climatic conditions. Especially, during the winter.

IMG-20160823-WA0011.jpg

Although the event was sadly short, I have learned a ton from Dr. Alex during that period of time. Until this very moment, I’m still awe-struck on how he was able to keep a mindset on sticking to the basics, no matter how much credibility he has as a professional photographer.

Check out his other series “In And Out Of The Mist”: http://www.ph21gallery.com/#!alex-wong/cre